Sunday 11 March 2012

This week I can show you a finished pair of man mitts!  They have been lovingly worn and tested for warmth.  My dear hubby is, I am delighted to say, very happy with them...so much so, he is praying the warmer weather comes along slowly so he can wear them a bit more before packing them away for next winter!  How lovely to have a hubby that is so easily pleased!






Talking of being easily pleased, I have joined a "Learn Something New A-Long" on the Phoenix Knitting Forum. The idea is that each month, we try a new technique or learn a new skill. It could be anything from trying a new type of cast on, knitting a first pair of socks or top down garment or attempting a first piece of lace.  We don't have to produce a complete  project, we just have to have a go and share our attempts.

So, what did I decide to try I hear you ask?

Well, I have an endless list but this month I plumped for "Double Knitting". This technique is where two pieces of fabric are knitted simultaneously (explanation from Wikipedia) using two yarns.  I'm using a free chart I found on Ravelry to produce an image on both pieces like this...





See how much fun I'm having with this!  As I said, easily pleased.

Is is easy to do though?  Er, not to begin with!  Each square on the chart represents two stitches.  One is knitted in one yarn and one purled in the other. I found it quite difficult to work out which colour I was supposed to be knitting and which I should be purling at first. However, as knit for the process and not necessarily for the end result, I haven't minded ripping this back numerous times to get it right.  Good job you say!

I'm not going to post the Ravelry link to the chart yet...you will have to wait - I'll give you a week to guess what it is!

I will, however, link this project, as I'm itching to try it now I'm getting the hang of it!




No comments: